At Notgrove we offer a wide range of hands-on courses, led by highly skilled and experienced professional members of the Dry Stone Walling Association. Whether you just want to have a go at something completely new, or develop your skills towards a qualification, our trainers teach at every level. Our courses run throughout the year, but not in inclement weather.
We can also arrange sessions as part of a team building challenge or corporate activity day.
One of the best things about offering these courses is getting feedback from people when they finish their courses with us, and tell us they have a real sense of satisfaction, have enjoyed being outside in the fresh air, have discovered new skills, and feel happy in the knowledge that they have helped to conserve one of the country’s most important landscapes. We pride ourselves on the fact that on our walling courses, you will be making a dry stone wall in the Cotswolds National Landscape which is built to last!
This is not a course during which you will simply take down and rebuild the same piece of wall over and over again – on our courses, you will be building a wall that will remain part of the Cotswolds landscape for the next 100-200 years.
On the course you can expect to spend two days surrounded by the beautiful Cotswolds landscape, learning about: dismantling walls, stone sorting, laying foundations, building up of the wall, adding through stones and coping stones, dressing the stone, different types of stone, the necessary tools and how to use them, and much more!
- Perfect for beginners, no experience necessary
- 2-day course
- £150 per person (increase to £185 for all 2023 courses)
- Suitable for people aged 16 and over
- The course is taught outside so please bring weather-appropriate clothing: warm clothing / layers, waterproofs, gloves, sturdy shoes/boots, hat, and sun cream.
- You will also need to bring a packed lunch and drinks, plus a pair of working/gardening gloves.
- All other tools and equipment will be provided.
- A portable toilet will be provided where toilet facilities are not available, with details provided in course joining instructions.
- Parking will be available with further details provided in the joining instructions.